Suitable for vegetarians
August 11, 2021
Caribbean Stewed Beans made with Barba Stathis Black Beans
- Barba Stathis Black Beans 450 gr
- 1 bunch of thin celery, coarsely chopped
- ½ a cup of fresh parsley, coarsely chopped (keep a few leaves for garnish)
- 1 x 400ml whole canned Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Tomato paste
- 1 Onion, coarsely chopped
- 50ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 800ml Water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons BBQ Spice Mix
- 1 tablespoon Sweet Smoked Paprika
- ½ tablespoon Chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon Sea Salt, be careful as BBQ Spice Mix may already be salty
- ½ tablespoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- Take a pressure cooker and pour the oil over medium heat. Wait for about a minute for it to warm up and add the onions. Sauté for about 4' until soft.
- Add the black beans to the pot along with all the ingredients and water, making sure that the water covers the beans well, then stir and close the lid of the pot well and increase the heat. Wait for it to start steaming, reduce the heat and cook for 25'.
- Carefully open the pressure valve to release the steam, then open the pressure cooker. Remove the bay leaves, garnish with parsley leaves, and serve.