November 18, 2022
Beef Stew with Aubergines and our margarine!
- 1.250 Kg Beef Chuck (roast), trimmed and cut into 5cm cubes
- 6 Aubergines, cut into 3cm cubes
- 100g All-Purpose Flour
- 250g Margarine Light, Charalambides-Christis
- 400g Chopped Tomatoes, tinned
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, roughly chopped
- 1 Large Stalk Celery, roughly chopped
- 1 Large Carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Sweet Paprika, not smoked
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp dry Coriander, ground
- 1 tsp dry Thyme
- ½ tsp All-Spice Berries, ground
- 2 Small Sticks Cinnamon
- 750ml Beef Broth
- 3 tbsp Fresh Parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 ½ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
- After cutting the aubergines, we place them in a salted water bowl. Allow for 45’ to release some of their bitterness, wash well and allow to dry.
- Place the beef cubes on a flat plate or surface and season with salt and pepper. Then add into a bowl with the flour and mix well so that each cube is covered.
- Place a large pot or casserole on high heat and when it heats up, a minute or two later, add 100g of the margarine and allow to melt. Then add the beef cubes making sure that any excess flour is dusted away. Sauté each side for 2-3’ until nicely coloured and remove from the pot. Repeat for the rest of beef cubes if your pot was not big enough to handle the whole quantity. Remove the beef from the pot and keep aside.
- In the same pot, on medium heat add 50g of margarine, allow to melt and add the onions sauteing for just 3’. Add the celery and the carrots and sauté for 2’ more. Add the tomatoes along with the paprika, bay leaves, coriander, thyme, all-spice berries and cinnamon. Mix, bring the beef cubes back to the pot, and pour the beef broth. Give it a good stir, increase the heat and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and simmer for 2 hours. If needed add some more water.
- In the meantime, we take a high wall frying pan and we place it on high heat. Add the remaining 100g of margarine, allow to melt and add the aubergines. Sauté for about 20’ until tender.
- Back to the pot with the beef, remove all cubes from the pot, discard the bay leaves and cinnamon stick and place the sauce from the pot to a high-speed blender. Blend and taste for additional seasoning.
- In that same pot we return the beef cubes along with the fried aubergines and we pour the blended sauce. Cover the pot and simmer for 20’. Just before removing from the fire add to the pot most of the parsley.
- Serve and garnish with the remaining parsley.