November 19, 2020
Pastitsio baked pasta made with macaroni and Charalambides Christis Halloumi
- 1500 ml Charalambides Christis Fresh Milk Full Fat, 3% fat
- 150 gr all-purpose flour
- 150 gr Country Life Butter
- 3 Eggs, beaten very well
- 1 ½ teaspoon Cinnamon, ground
- 600 g double-minced pork mince
- 600 gr double-minced beef mince
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp. tomato paste
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon of allspice, ground
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of fresh-grated black Pepper
- 750 gr of Macaroni
- 400 gr Charalambides Christis Halloumi
- 350 gr Cathedral City Mild Cheddar
- 1 tbsp. dry mint, finely ground
- 5 litres of water
- 2 tbsp. Salt
- Begin with the minced meat by placing a deep frying pan over medium heat. Add the oil and immediately after the chopped onion, sauté for 5-7 minutes until they become translucent.
- Add the minced meat, increase the heat and with a wooden spatula press and break the minced meat and continue to sauté until all the pieces of minced meat are sautéed. Stir in the tomato paste, parsley, allspice and season with salt and pepper. Give it a good stir, cook for 5 minutes, turn off the heat and set aside.
- It's time for the Pasta! In a large saucepan, boil the water over high heat, adding the 2 tablespoons of salt. Add the pasta, stirring occasionally so that it does not stick and cook for 1 minute less than the instructions on the pasta package. Drain and keep aside, while pouring a little olive oil on them so they do not dry out.
- Meanwhile, grate the halloumi and cheddar cheese and mix with the mint.
- It's time for the Bechamel! In a medium saucepan, boil the milk over low heat and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over low-medium heat add the butter, mix with a whisk and once melted add the flour little by little. Continue to beat and cook until it gets a little golden in colour and smells like cookies.
- At this point we start to add the hot milk, 2 tablespoons at a time and we continue to beat quickly. When you get a nice, not too runny cream, probably just after the last spoonful of milk has been added, remove from the heat and add the eggs and whisk. Return the mixture to the heat, and once it boils add the cinnamon, almost half of the grated cheese and stir to mix.
- To prepare the Pastitsio: Preheat the oven to 185°C, fan option setting and the shelf placed in the middle.
- Take a medium-deep (6-7 cm) baking dish and lightly grease it with butter. Add half of the pasta and sprinkle about 1/3 of the remaining grated cheese. Add the minced meat, and with a wooden spoon spread evenly, pressing the meat lightly. Sprinkle again with 1/3 of the remaining grated cheese. Put the remaining pasta and sprinkle again with half of the remaining grated cheese.
- Add the Béchamel cream and using a spatula spread all the cream towards the edges of the platter. Finally, sprinkle the remaining grated cheese and bake for 40 minutes until the crust has a golden colour.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 20 minutes. Then, your pasta is ready to be served!