October 15, 2021
Aubergine Pilaf with Halloumi & Yoghurt!
- 200gr. Pissourkotiko Traditional Goat Halloumi, Charalambides Christis
- 100gr. Charalambides Christis Organic Yoghurt
- 3 Aubergines
- 1 Onion, thinly sliced in quarters
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Zaatar spice, plus more for garnish
- a pinch of Saffron
- 10 tablespoons of Extra virgin olive oil
- 650ml Chicken Broth, hot, mixed with a pinch of saffron
- 250gr. Wild Rice
For the spice mixture
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried ginger, ground
- 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons of dried coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1 ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C, on the fan setting and place the rack in the middle position.
- Cut the aubergines into chunks of 1½ cm and put them on an oven plate with 4 tablespoons of oil and 2 tablespoons of the spice mixture. Put in the oven for about 35' until lightly golden and softened, while stirring once or twice. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Place a small saucepan over medium heat and add 4 tablespoons of oil. Let it heat for a minute and then add the onions, fry them for about 12' until they become crispy and brown. Remove them with a slotted spoon and put them on absorbent paper for the excess oil to be absorbed.
- In another pot, add 1 tablespoon of oil and once heated add the garlic together with 1 tablespoon from the spice mixture. Cook for about a minute and then add the rice. Stir the rice to coat well with the oil, add the broth, mix well, remove the garlic, simmer with the lid on for about 20' or according to the package instructions. Remove from the heat and place a kitchen towel between the pot and the lid and leave for about 7' for the extra moisture to be absorbed.
- Meanwhile, cut the halloumi in half and then each piece into 4 triangles. Add it to a bowl together with 1 tablespoon of oil, sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture and mix well. Place the halloumi on an oven tray rack and bake on the oven grill for 3-4' on each side until golden. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the zaatar spice and set aside.
- Finally, put the rice in a large bowl and add the cooked aubergines together with the onions. Mix well and serve on a large plate, adding the halloumi triangles on top, together with the yoghurt, and sprinkle a little more of the zaatar spice over the yoghurt.