Suitable for vegetarians
September 18, 2023
Try the Kefalotyri Sauce 'n Salmon Eggs Benedict! You'll love it :)
- 80g Kefalotyri, Mature, Charalambides Christis
- 225ml Fresh Milk Full Fat, 3% Fat, Charalambides Christis
- 30g Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Sweet Paprika, not smoked, ground
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg, ground
- ¼ tsp freshly ground Black Pepper, plus more for garnish
- 4 Eggs
- 30ml White Vinegar
- 6 Slices Smoked Salmon
- 1 Avocado, halved, scooped and thinly sliced
- 10 Baby Spinach Leaves
- 2 Bagels, split and toasted
- 1 tsp Chives, finely chopped
- We start with the sauce by placing a medium non-stick pot over medium heat. Melt the butter, add the flour and cook for 2’ while whisking.
- Reduce the heat to low and start adding the milk, a bit at a time and keep on whisking.
- Halfway through add the paprika, nutmeg and pepper and continue adding the milk and keep on whisking aiming to achieve a nice, a bit runny cream.
- Then grate in the kefalotyri cheese and whisk until smooth, moving saucepan on and off heat to keep it hot enough to melt the cheese but not so hot that it bubbles rapidly. Remove from the heat to a bowl and keep aside.
- In the meantime, in a large/medium pot we add water, 7-8cm high and we bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce the heat to low and pour the vinegar.
- Crack each egg into a small bowl or coffee cup, give the water a stir to create a swirl and gently and slowly slip the egg, one at a time, in the center of the pot. Simmer uncovered and undisturbed for 4’ as you want the whites to set and the egg yolk to start to thicken but still be runny. They will rise to the surface when ready and use a slotted spoon to lift out each egg and transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat for the rest of the eggs.
- While the eggs are cooking we toast the split bagels in a hot pan.
- Arrange the split bagels on a serving plate and add few spinach leaves and slices of avocado on the base. Then add the salmon and top with two poached eggs. Spoon the kefalotyri sauce over the eggs, crack some pepper on top and garnish with the chives.
- Serve right away!