Suitable for vegetarians
February 17, 2023
Tomato Rice with Yoghurt!
- 500g Long Grain Rice
- Organic Goat Yoghurt, Charalambides Christis
- 750ml Warm Water
- 400g Cherry Tomatoes, lengthwise halved
- 750g Tomatoes, ripen, grated
- 1 ½ tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Yellow Onion, finely chopped
- 60ml EVOO, Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 75ml White Wine
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced with a garlic presser tool
- 1 tsp Sweet Chili Flakes
- 1 tsp Sweet Paprika, not smoked
- ½ tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp dry Coriander, ground
- 2 tbsp Fresh Mint, finely chopped, plus more for garnishing
- 1 ½ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
- Place a large pot on high heat and pour the oil. Allow to heat-up well and toss in the halved cherry tomatoes. Cook for about 5’ and until their juices are released.
- Add the onions and cook for 3’ to soften. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30’’. Finally make some space in the middle, add the tomato paste and cook for a minute or so. Give it a good stir and deglaze with the wine. Then add the grated tomatoes, cooking at low heat for 10’.
- Add the chili flakes, paprika, cinnamon and coriander along with the rice and the warm water, give it a good stir and simmer with the lid on for 15’. If it absorbs all the liquid then add some water as you want a runny rice in the same way as risotto.
- Open the lid and season with the salt and pepper, add the mint and give it a final stir. Turn off the heat and let stand for 5’ with the lid on.
- Serve while warm along with the yoghurt and garnish with more mint.